Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Classroom Set-Up {then & now}

When I saw that Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten was throwing a linky party on how our rooms have changed with teaching experience, I got so excited I wrote this post immediately! (Hence, why I'm up past 1 am!) I'm going on my 5th year of teaching kindergarten and have been in the same classroom all 5 years! After my first year of teaching, we had a change of administration and with that came a goal for school improvement! To start off, that summer of 2010, all teachers were ordered to "de-clutter our rooms" (aka: THROW AWAY THE JUNK!) So that's just what I did. Then we were allowed to paint our classrooms, so I did that too! My principal hated the rickety, wooden tables in my room, so she got me beautiful, green tables that were sturdy and easy to clean! I also got a new easel and through the years, have really gotten better at staying organized, keeping clutter to a minimum and creating (and finding) awesome classroom decor for my room! Well enough of my jibber-jabbing... take a look for yourselves! 

My first year of teaching (2009-2010) to My 4th year (2012-2013)

BEFORE
Note the boring walls, old rickety tables and boring table signs... (all before pinterest and this blog!)
 AFTER
EXACT same view of my room during my 4th year of teaching... pretty color on the walls, new tables, chair pockets made by  my mom, pretty table signs I made and matching table tubs for supplies! =)

BEFORE


This was where my writing center was my first year of teaching....
 AFTER
Here is the exact same view but this area is now my calendar area! (I LOOOOVE my new rug thanks to donorschoose!)

 BEFORE
These next two photos were my calendar area my first year of teaching...




Here is that same wall now! It's my word wall/small group area on the large whiteboard and the smaell board is my writing board and listening center.

 AFTER



Close up of my writing board....
This wall is also part of our writing board...
 BEFORE
This is how I used to post my standards...
 AFTER
Here is how I post them now!
 BEFORE
My letter of the week board (before we were told to stop letter of the week)
 AFTER 
Here is the same wall this past school year!

 BEFORE
My tiny little word wall....
Old computer station....

 AFTER
Here is that same corner NOW. =)

Here is what my computer center looks like now!
 BEFORE
Old library station...

 AFTER
My new library station! (That little book shelf didn't stay there... I eventually moved it  b/c it was too cluttered for my liking here.
 BEFORE
Look back to the right side at my flat file and how messy that area is (my first year)!
 AFTER
Now look at this beauty! So organized and loving it!!!


I get so excited looking back at these b/c I can't wait to start decorating my classroom (I know... I'm a big nerd!)

So click on the link at the beginning of this post to go see other classroom transformations!

Sincerely,

18 comments:

  1. Your room looks great!! You did a great job decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn! It took a few years, so I'm looking forward to getting back in there at the end of July (after I enjoy summer break, of course!)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your room looks so colorful and organized!! You've created a wonderful learning environment for your students!!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My principal says that is my strongest quality as a teacher... creating a positive and encouraging learning environment for my students. =)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I like lots of colors! =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm pretty fond of it myself! =)

      Delete
  5. I was wondering what your alphabet club is? I saw the board in your pictures and would love some more information about what this is and how you use it in your room. Your room looks great. I also love the stuffed animals like Clifford high on the wall to go with your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathy! When my kids are able to identify all the uppercase and lowercase letters, and name letter sounds, I post their picture on an apple and give them a little certificate for being in the "Alphabet Club!" It makes them feel special and it gives them something to strive for! They LOVE it and it looks adorable! Next year, I'm going to create laminated posters to post on a wall, and tape their pictures to the poster instead of taking up a whole bulletin board. I will be sure to share when I make them so you can see what I mean. =)

      Delete
  6. Love your chair pockets. Your mom should start a business:) They are amazing!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy transformation Batman!! Your room looks amazing! :) I am pinning & taking multiple ideas from here. Thanks so much for linking up!!

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your classroom, I teach in a one room school (next year I will have 22 students Gr.K-9) on a Hutterite Colony in Saskatchewan. I am curious, why where you told no letter of the week? My Kindergarteners come to school speaking limited or no English (they speak low German). We were going to do letter of the week next fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - I love the before and after idea! I'd love to have you share this with my readers by linking up to our Teaching Idea Tuesday on Teach Junkie if you're interested. Thanks for sharing so many pics Jessica!
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica, my reader described all the pictures to me, and I'm SO envious that your mom made you chair pockets! You are so lucky! You're right about the new tables - they really add a certain something to your room.

    Take care,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Your room is awesome! Where are your asking sentence, exciting sentence and telling sentence posters from? I would love to put them in my writing center!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Love the changes! Love all the color!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so good!! Very vibrant and welcoming! Want to come do my room?? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and 'hatas' don't hate! If it's spam- it WILL be deleted.