Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Addition Math centers

We finished up our addition unit last week in math and are moving onto subtraction!
 Today I introduced the skill by reviewing how addition means "to put together." Then I said this week we are going to being "taking away" or subtracting. I read "Five Green and Speckled Frogs" and had 5 kids come up with frog masks and had them help model "jumping into the pool" as we read/sang the song and I wrote the subtraction sentence on the board as well. We did this 3 or 4 times to let each kiddo have a turn. Tomorrow we are going to do the same activity with Monkeys swinging in a tree! =) Afterwards, we did a subtraction activity page together that talked about "taking away"! They did a great job!

I kept the math centers addition related since they need to be able to complete them independently!

I got all these amazing recording sheets from here: Free addition centers
These are GREAT centers! They were easy to get together and I'm really happy with them!











4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this website! Also how does one get involved in the Pinterest exchange? I've been reading about it a lot of different places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from TBA! I love your blog! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I just discovered that a great way to teach subtraction is getting one of those kid-friendly bowling games. The first number is the amount of pins you start off with, the second number is the amount of pins that are knocked down, and the last number is the amount of pins that are still standing. My kids LOVED it, and it really helped them visualize the concept.

    Here are a couple songs that you may want to use since you're doing subtraction:

    "Butterfly Subtraction" by Miss Jenny: I just put up an idea on my blog about using headbands with this song - you can check it out in my latest post.

    "Five Little Hot Dogs" by Dr. Jean: I use plastic hot dogs from our dramatic play center and put them in a pan for this song. The kids walk around during center time singing this song, they like it so much. :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Glad I found your blog! Stop by and visit sometime :)

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and 'hatas' don't hate! If it's spam- it WILL be deleted.