Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Randomness

So get ready for some randomness! I have a few different things to share with you tonight!

First...
This week in science we were learning about solids and liquids. I had to share this really great lesson one of my teammates came up with so of course I had to steal her idea! =)
I had 5 different containers with the same amount of water. I used food dye to change the color of each container of water. Then I had an empty jar with a line to measure where all the water meets in the jar.


Then I talked to the kids about how liquids can change it's shape to the container we put it in. I had the kids guess which container had the most water... and then we graphed their responses. It's funny b/c most of the kids thought the blue did since the water hit the top of the jar.


Then I asked the kids... "What would you think if I told you that all the containers have the SAME amount of water?" Of course... they didn't believe me and got so excited for me to prove it to them!
I then proceeded to pour each container into the jar to show them how they all meet at the line I drew on the jar. So they all have the SAME amount. I talked about how the big circle pan's liquid had to spread out more so it didn't get very high. And the blue jar was much skinner so it had to fill up higher than the big yellow jar did. The kids loved it!







Last random idea for the night! =)

The same teammate from above game me the idea for a math center. My kids are still needing a lot of practice on counting and identifying numbers past 10. So she has her BFF save some baby food jars and cleaned them out. I wrote letters on the lids and put pipecleaner with beads inside each one....

They wrote the answers on a recording sheet that had a letter for each tub...
For example... jar F has 15 beads on it... so on the recording sheet they will write 15 next to the letter F. I used letters b/c I didn't want my kids getting confused.



5 comments:

  1. Cute ideas! My kids have to do a "worksheet" at every math and literacy center...I need to hold them accountable for their center work since I'm with a group. I think it's different when they're with centers than just sitting at a desk doing a worksheet :).
    Vickie
    Mrs. Plant's Press

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ideas Jessica. I teach in the county that Kindergarten Kove comes from. We've got some great teachers who pulled those resources together. A lot of your stations look just like mine =) I like your bead station! Great idea!

    Laura
    Kinder Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog & am your newest follower! Your ideas look great! Thanks for sharing!
    Anita
    Mrs. Bremer’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check it out at my blog. http://coleslittlepups.blogspot.com/

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am starting to do liquids next week! This is such a good idea!

    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and 'hatas' don't hate! If it's spam- it WILL be deleted.